Find information, opinions and research on how digital technology is transforming our lives in good and dangerous ways as citizens, kids, teens, parents, professionals and consumers.
Here’s an initial list of complaints, lawsuits and civil or government opposition to ChatGPT, or ” ChatTNT “, as I prefer to call it, for its destructive capabilities- alongside its useful ones, as always.
They’re in Europe, Australia, Canada and the US.
Tech companies like Google (Alphabet) and Facebook (Meta) have become giants and have had a free ride evolving in an unregulated context for the past 25 years. Here’s a regularly updated recap of actual or proposed regulation of Big Tech in the following regions :
– France and Australia’s legislation to compensate traditional media for their content
– the European Union’s 2016 GDPR privacy legislation and the 2022 DMA and DSA acts
– California’s 2018 CCPA privacy law and proposed children’s protection law
– Quebec’s 64 privacy law ( 2022)
– Canada’s 2022 C-11 and C-18 laws addressing Canadian content and its proposed federal C-27 law on privacy and AI
– the United States’ various federal proposed but yet unpassed laws S-2333, the ” American Data and Privacy Act”, the “Kids Online Safety Act” and the “American Innovation and Choice Online Act”.
We’re beginning here a repository of media articles on the impact on mental health of kids
A new study following 9-10 year olds says playing video games makes kids smarter! It lacks a lot of information though.
👉 What types of games?
👉 How long per day?
👉Does it make them less healthy or empathetic too?
Governments around the world are crafting or attempt to craft laws to protect children online. We look at online child protection legislation and proposed legislation in France, the UK, California, Canada and the US below since 2018. As we discuss in our remote conferences/workshops for parents on digital parenting and our student workshops on digital media and security, democracy and mental...
You’re not a tween or teen, or even a 20-something adult and are wondering what in the hell is the TikTok app? Its actually a new type of studio and television, catering mainly to the 7 to 20 year olds. We’ll detail what this new kind of movie studio and tv combined is. Then we’ll give you the inside scoop on the 24 hour party its like on there.
How many teen depressions & suicides until TikTok, Instagram & Snapchat have to bear a ” bad for your health” label ?
Running a TikTok & Instagram challenge for teens for Tech for Good Canada has made me ever more aware of the “Weapons of Mass Distraction” they are- and how underrepresented & creators can love it though. This is a societal division machine like no other.
From digital marketing to digital citizenship
Canada Research Chair on Youth
Venture Partner, Matr Ventures, privacy and marketing expert